Avilion is a warm and friendly home for all, and thus, it gets crowded and those with the incorrect settings end up suffering as a result. Here are some guidelines to help you optimize your systems performance and better enjoy not just Avilion, but your entire SL experience.
1) Relog and Clear your Cache! If you’re lagging, relogging can help get your speed back up. Clearing your cache often is important. You can choose what size to have your cache, but 1000mb is recommended. Your cache is where data about your inventory, textures, and other information is stored. When it gets full you’ll lag and may see items appear missing from your inventory. Clearing your cache will greatly help (unless the inventory loss is due to an SL bug, in which case you should take it up with Linden Lab).
- Your cache options can be found under the Network tab.
-Disk Cache Size – you can use the slider to choose how large or small you want this to be.
-The button ‘Clear Cache’ is what you’ll need to use. Remember to clear your cache often.
2) Keep your draw distance low. You can change your draw distance by going to Edit >> Preferences >> and under the Graphics Tab, you can raise or lower this setting. The higher your draw distance the more lag you’ll feel, so keep it at it’s lowest (64m) to enjoy maximum speed.
3) Terrain Detail and Lighting: In preferences, this is under the Graphics Detail tab. Keeping the terrain detail low will help reduce lag a little bit if you’re running a slower PC. For lighting, local (light from near by objects) is much more aesthetic than just sun and moon, but keeping the setting at sun and moon only will help reduce client side lag.
4) Maximum bandwidth: you can set this under the network tab. If your bandwidth is set too high here and your computer can’t handle it, you will not only be causing problems for yourself, but will choke the sims you’re visiting as well. Higher bandwidth does NOT mean faster performance. Be very careful with this option. Better to err on the side of keeping it low.